1. The Scholarship will be called the Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College
of Science Scholarship.
2. The Scholarship will be a $500 sum awarded annually at the Cal Poly
Pomona College of Science Annual Scholarship Recognition Program.
3. The College of Science encourages a family representative to be present
to make the award. This gives students a better opportunity to understand
Mr. Kim's dedication to teaching and overall enthusiasm for learning.
4. A plaque briefly describing the purpose of the award, and listing the
names of all recipients, will be placed in a prominent position within
the College of Science Office.
Selection of Recipients
1. Although the goal is to give one scholarship every year, the overriding
intention is to recognize individuals with outstanding commitments to
the study of Mathematics and Science. To this end, there is no stipulated
requirement that only one scholarship is awarded each year. When funds
from earnings on the endowed fund allow, more than one scholarship may
2. This scholarship will be awarded to a student who demonstrates academic
excellence and a commitment to the study and understanding of Mathematics
and Science. It will recognize academic excellence by awarding scholarships
to students with a 3.30 grade point average in Mathematics and Science
core courses and a 3.0 overall grade point average.
3. To qualify for consideration an applicant must either have achieved
senior (135 quarter units completed) or graduate standing or will have
achieved such standing by the beginning of the Fall Quarter following
the award. Only students in good academic standing with the University
will be considered in the pool of eligible persons. Eligible persons must
have been enrolled in one of Cal Poly Pomona College of Science's degree
programs for a period of not less than one calendar year prior to being
declared eligible, and have sufficient academic obligations remaining
to require continued residence at least one academic year following receipt
of the award.
4. Candidates must apply for the Scholarship through the University Scholarship
Program administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid. Scholarship
recipients may re-apply for the scholarship. Application materials included
by the University Scholarship Program include the Cal Poly Pomona University
Scholarship application form; a personal essay, two letters of recommendation,
5. The University Scholarship Program will pre-screen applications and
forward a pool of five applicants to the Mr. And Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College
of Science Scholarship Selection Committee. Arranged by the Office of
Financial Aid Scholarship Administrator, this committee will conduct personal
interviews and make a final review to select the candidate in late Spring
Quarter. Student interviews will be conducted in a casual, informal, non-confrontational
manner and shall serve as a means to establish commonalties between the
applicant and the ideals of Mr. Kim. The Selection Committee must agree
on a single successful individual by a unanimous vote.
Scholarship Selection Committee
1. Voting members of the Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science
Scholarship Selection Committee will be fixed at three persons and will
include the College of Science Chair, a College of Science Faculty Member,
and a representative of the Keith Soon Kim family.
2. The Keith Soon Kim family is responsible for the selection of its representative.
3. Changes in the scholarship guidelines and additional scholarship awards
will be considered annually when the Selection Committee meets.
Endowment/Scholarship Fund Management
1. Cal Poly Pomona Foundation, Inc. will manage the investment of the
Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science Scholarship endowment fund.
2. The principal of the Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science
Scholarship will forever remain intact. The minimum award amount will
be $500, using only the investment proceeds from the endowment.
3. The Keith Soon Kim family strongly encourages the Scholarship Board
of Directors to annually award all available investment earnings to eligible